Maintaining Heating and Cooling Units in Red Deer
With blistering summers and frigid winters, few places in the world experience temperature extremes like Alberta. The drastic changes in temperature take their toll on heating and cooling units. Properly serviced HVAC equipment saves time, energy, money, increases efficiency and reduces stress on your home or business.
Tips in Maintaining Your Residential Heating & Air Conditioning in Red Deer:
- Furnaces should be serviced annually by a professional. As many as 75% of no-heat calls in winter are due to issues that arise from poor maintenance. Proper servicing not only prolongs the life of your unit and saves energy, but it also drastically reduces the possibility of carbon monoxide leaks.
- Change or wash furnace filters regularly. Depending on how dirty the filters are, once every 4 to 12 weeks should do for filter replacement. This helps keep your furnace humming at optimum efficiency and keeps dust and allergen levels in the home to a minimum.
- AC units should also be inspected yearly by a professional. AC filters should be checked at least once a month and cleaned or replaced as needed. Clean filters will reduce your cooling unit's energy consumption 5 to 15%! Heat exchangers and coils collect dirt over time and should be cleaned at least once a year and kept free of obstructions. Call the experts at McMullen’s Refrigeration & Heating Ltd for a speedy inspection at a reasonable price.
- Cooling units also need care before winter. Remove or cover room with AC units and cover outdoor devices to save efficiency and prevent damage to the unit during the winter.
Professional maintenance of commercial HVAC and refrigeration units is even more critical. Twice a year is best. Why? These units tend to work much harder than residential models. Doors are usually larger and open much more often, surfaces are larger, ceilings higher – all this requires excellent coordination between optimally running components. Any downtime caused by malfunctioning units can be very costly.
Maintenance of refrigeration equipment is also crucial. Commercial condensing units are high powered and fans are constantly in service distributing cold air.
- Fans tend to get dirty and suck in debris which can clog the condenser. This means restricted air flow, causing the compressor to run longer and at higher pressure, straining the entire unit. Clearing the fan and compressor are two of the main maintenance requirements.
- Service intervals vary according to the type of refrigeration unit you have, how dirty the unit gets and how heavily it is used. As a rule of thumb, open front units (multi-decks) require monthly condenser cleaning and professional servicing every six months; glass door units need their condensers cleaned every six weeks with a yearly professional service; and a solid door unit in a busy kitchen would need a condenser cleaning every 6 to 8 weeks with a once-a-year full service by a professional.
At McMullen's Refrigeration & Heating Ltd, we have over 50 years of experience. We are skilled in restaurant equipment repair in Red Deer, too. Give us a call with your questions and concerns. You can trust your restaurant equipment repairs in Red Deer to us. Think of McMullen's Refrigeration & Heating Ltd for all your residential and commercial heating, refrigeration, plumbing and air conditioning needs in Red Deer.